Monday, June 9, 2008

Some Quotes on Travel

While doing some research for my roadtrip, I found some great quotes about travel, written by - who else? Famous American authors. Per-fect. So here's a little compilation:

"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth, whenever it is a damp, drizzly, November in my soul;...whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it reuires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately steping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can."

- Herman Melville, in the first paragraph of Moby Dick.

Though I am not heading off to sea, I am heading on the open road and I feel this is liberating in itself!

"I think all heroic deeds were all conceiv'd in the open air, and all free poems also,
I think I could stop here myself and do miracles,
I think whatever I shall meet on the road I shall like, and whoever beholds me shall like me.
I thnk whoever I see must be happy."

- Walt Whitman in :Song of the Open Road."

When preparing for a trip, and showing the deep desire of Americans to travel and expand their wings:

"The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings an ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage."

- John Steinbeck, 1961

No comments: