Saturday, July 26, 2008

Jack London's House























"This is the story of Buck, a superb dog, who braved the wild Arctic trail..."

Okay, so this isn't exactly the opening of Jack London's "The Call of the Wild," but I do have it committed to memory because it has been passed on through Fitzgerald famiy lore for years. My Uncle Jimmy apparently plagiarized the entire summary of this Arctic tale from the inside of the book jacket and handed it into the nuns at his 5th grade Catholic school. It didn't fly so well.

This might have been one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. It looked like Tuscany, situated on stretches of vineyards and forest. Though the home that London poured his heart into burned down, the remnants still remain on the grounds. You can also visit the cottage that his wife lived in after London's death, a museum on London's life and pay respects at London's grave site.

2 comments:

Petey said...

Sharing family secrets?? By the way, when I looked at the picture of the vineyards I expected to see that old man from the photo you took in Rome!

Unknown said...

If I was sharing family secrets for the publicity, I would start with something juicier, no? Yeah, it did look just like Tuscany. It was gorgeous.